Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Easter vigil

Normally I would be going to Mass tomorrow. It's at least a nod to my Catholic upbringing and faith, though I don't know if any weekly Catholics would consider me Catholic anymore. But this year, my first year away from family and married to a devout atheistic humanist, I await a different kind of celebration. This year I will be celebrating spring (and Easter) with my friends (those who aren't going to church). We're having a brunch buffet at our house tomorrow, complete with easter egg hunt and bacon--the poor grad student's Easter ham. My Easter vigil is tending to the muffins in the oven and the cheesecake I baked earlier. My communion will be sharing the food each person brings to our table. My thoughts are of spring, the rebirth, the joy and pain each birth of all kinds brings, and the hope for tomorrow's days to be better ones.

May you all have a safe and peaceful Easter.

No comments: