Saturday, September 01, 2007

Are you ready for some football?

First game of the season today, and already we have half the numbers of wins from last year. So sad, but this year is going to be better, I can feel it in my bones. Considering the start last year (losing to a lower division school that we were supposed to cream), and the start this year (winning our in-state rivalry game), I think it bodes well for us.

A lot of people (that I know, at least) hate school sports because that's what intellectuals and nerds do. Hate the jocks. Haven't you seen the movies? Sheesh! I did my first two years of high school, but there wasn't really that much to hate, since we were an all-girls school with no football team (duh). The boys' school across the street had the football team and it was easy to despise them because we never saw the boys, and when we did, they pretty much acted exactly the way teenage high school jocks are supposed to. So, gross.

But at my next high school (public, co-ed), I had to go to every football team because I was in the band. I played flag. We won every single game because that's what our high school did. I didn't resent it though because it was just a part of the culture of excellence. The Academic Olympic team got recognition when they won, as did the debaters (and of course our incredible marching band). So nerds and jocks coexisted peacefully, more or less. Plus, the games were fun. I'm really competitive and I like to win, so winning was really fun with the football team. It was great to be a part of that joy.

Now at a big football school (though nothing like Texas), I again find myself really enjoying football. I tutor some of the athletes, so it's more fun because I sometimes know the players, but it's also educational as far as the reality of "jocks." Pretty much, they are just like the rest of the college population. People like to say that the athletes get to skate through and don't work hard, but there are also students who slack and don't care as much who aren't athletes. There are also very intelligent and motivated athletes, just as there are other students who are the same way. Overall, I'm happy and proud to be working in some capacity for the athletic department, even if it's not the cool thing to do in some circles.

No comments: