Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Grand Birthday Tradition

Last year (maybe the year before?), I decided that on my birthday (which is tomorrow!), I will only do things I *want* to do and avoid things I *have* to do if at all possible. Mainly this is because I often postpone pleasure because I know I should be doing other things, and then I never seem to get around to the things I REALL want to do. When I did this last year, the feeling was incredible. Yes, I didn't get a lot "accomplished" that day, but I think we all deserve one day a year where we don't need to feel like we need to be productive (very different from simply not being productive).

So, in the interest of accountability (and also because I am excited for tomorrow!), here is a general list of things I want to do tomorrow. Of course, since I get to do whatever I want, I may not feel like doing any or all of these when the time comes. Thats the beauty!

  1. Buy thread to finish tying Peter's quilt.
  2. Work on my pink-and-orange quilt that I haven't touched in months.
  3. Organize some of my crafty things and fabric.
  4. Make and eat my favorite chocolate cheesecake (but not all of it!).
  5. Read.
  6. Play a game or three on the Wii. I love it but never get around to playing it.
  7. Maybe go for a drive in the mountains.
  8. Work the blog posts about the kitchen (and others) that have been languishing as drafts for too long.
  9. Sleep in.
I realize I am very lucky to be able to do this, and recognize that this might be the last year I can, since I start work NEXT WEEK. (Sorry, I will NOT be blogging about work. I have no desire to be dooced.)

What about you? What would you do if you had a day to do exactly as you pleased?

1 comment:

Carrie's Classics said...

Hey Shannon - Happy birthday tomorrow! I have a card I already have written out, but don't have your new address. Would you please email it to me!

Your you-day sounds great! Let's see...I would bake some tasty treats (and find a willing recipient to take them off my hands, read, and I don't know what else...