Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Back in Boulder

It's nice to be back. The weather has been wonderful; I was so dreading coming back to 20 degrees after being in Vegas where it was 70, but it's gotten to the high 60s here, so it's not too bad at all. I've been for a few walks since getting back, something I kind of take for granted when I'm here. It's so easy just to walk out the door and walk almost anywhere from our apartment. Other cities are not nearly as pedestrian-friendly and it's so easy to get back into that car-centric lifestyle when I'm there. When I had to go to the grocery store for the first time after coming back, it took a real effort to talk myself out of getting in the car and driving to Safeway. While I was walking back, I kept thinking that it would have taken far longer to drive than it would have to walk and I was so glad I managed not to get sucked into the illusion of ease the car provides. Of course, I know this isn's the case for most people and most cities, but I suppose that is one of the many reasons why Boulder so often tops the lists of best places to live. Now I just have to make sure I make the most of my time here!

No comments: