Thursday, March 20, 2008

DeVotchKa + Au Revoir Simone = Amazingness

We just came back from seeing these two incredible bands at a live taping of Etown. I'm amazed my head didn't explode when they were both on the stage and doing a song together.

If you haven't heard them before, they are both well worth a listen. DeVotchKa did the music for Little Miss Sunshine (AKA my favorite movie ever). Au Revoir Simone is pretty, keyboard-y dreamy music with girl vocals.

I think I love both of them even more after seeing them in person. DeVotchKa was all drama, rich and evocative with their somewhat formal clothes and the string quartet backing them up (not to mention the mouth-accordion, I think, and the double bass-playing sousaphone player). Au Revoir Simone made me feel like I too could get up there and play incredible music (even though I so could not) with their so-out-they're-in long hair and bangs and their school-girl jumpers. They looked like the very much cooler version of who I wanted to be in junior high.

This is where I would post one song from each of the bands just so you can be exposed to the amazingess that is them, but I don't know how to do that. Instead, Google "Hype Machine," then type in "Au Revoir Simone" and "Devotchka." Enjoy.

No comments: