Saturday, December 17, 2005

New Life

Very dear friends of ours just had a baby a few days ago, and we were lucky enough to be able to go see her when she was less than 24 hours old. She was a c-section baby, so she was absolutely perfect and probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've heard so much about the "miracle of life" that it was one of those things that became a cliche to me before I ever got to see what they were talking about. Seriously? I can't think of a better way to describe it. Just walking through the maternity ward, I thought of all the little people in the rooms who weren't on this planet a day, or several hours before. Families growing larger, hopefully embracing and loving these new little beings. They are so tiny and fragile, such a tabula raza. No sin or worry wrinkling their little brows, just sleeping and eating.

And how could such a perfect little thing have formed inside my friend? It just blows my mind. I mean, we are so complex, and yet it all managed to get put together well enough in nine months that it came out as a human being? Amazing.

Mom and baby are both doing very well and got to go home only after a few days. We'll get to go see them again wehn we come back from our trip to Reno. She'll be well over two weeks old by then! Sheesh. I don't know if I'll even recognize her!

No comments: