Saturday, June 02, 2007

Potty Break

I had a very exciting Saturday night. I babysit for a five-month-old baby girl and an almost-three-year-old boy. The parents have been trying to get him potty trained off and on for a long long time, but he's never shown the slightest interest in the potty or learning to use it. I was sitting for them tonight and as I was walking past the little boy, I caught a whiff of something awful. Fearful I would have to change his poopy diaper (I haven't yet, knock on wood), I asked him if he had to go potty or if he needed a diaper change. Turned out it was his diaper bin, but he took that question to heart and ran downstairs to pull his little potty chair out of the closet where it's been languishing for who-knows-how-long. After that, I couldn't keep his pants on and barely managed to persuade him to leave the potty long enough to take a bath. He probably sat on that thing for at least an hour or so, minus bath time, and didn't even want to get off for bedtime. I seriously, seriously hope this sticks so I never have to change one of his poopy diapers (knock on giant sequoia).

And now I understand why mommy blogs are so much fun to read. Things actually happen and you get to legitimately talk about poop.

No comments: