Thursday, July 13, 2006

How come I never heard of it before?

I got Gosford Park from Netflix a while ago, and I just keep watching it over and over. I can't decide if it really is one of the most brilliant films I've ever seen, or if I've just been royally snookered. I'm still very much a student of "good" films and I've seen some that were critical classics I just couldn't love, but something about Gosford Park totally caught me.

It's been a while since I've done any kind of critical deconstruction or analysis of anything (and even when I did them in undergrad, it was always a story or novel, rarely a movie), but when I finished Robert Altman's movie, I had so many little epiphanies about themes, characters and filmmaking.

I want to see more of his movies now; I've seen some before and they seem to have a certain "flavor" to them that I always found intriguing but, frankly, boring. Now, I think, I have a better sense of how to appreciate his films. They aren't "movies" for mindless enjoyment (at least, not for me), but rather films to appreciate and digest, to think about as a slice of life or a rumination on a subject. If I look at them that way, they are beautiful gems of films I can greatly enjoy. Off to update the Netflix queue!

No comments: